Thursday, September 7, 2017

A Plea from Troy: Can You Help?

I am looking for partners to work with me to obtain my freedom.

I am serving a 60 to 90-year sentence for killing Scott Chandler in a bar fight in 1984. Because my judge sentenced me to a 60-year minimum, I have less access to the parole board than second-, or even first-degree lifers.  My only relief at this point is commutation.

You could help me in two general areas:

1. Trying to find some way to get my case put back under the jurisdiction of the parole board. (Explanation here.)
2. Filing my commutation in July 2018.

The work would be any one or more of these tasks: researching, networking and lobbying for anyone in a position to help. This includes Michigan legislators, current and former criminal justice system experts and leaders, inmate/defendent advocates, the Department of Corrections, and anyone else you think will listen.

First, let me state the reasons you may not want to help me:

I killed a young man (he was just 27 years old) who had his whole life ahead of him. Though I thought I was reacting rightly to his actions at the time, I've since come to see I was wrong about that. He died because of my tragic misreading of the situation. I had already been to prison once and was on walkway from a halfway house when I committed this crime. I had very little understanding of the enormity of what I'd done and I was so self-absorbed, whatever remorse I had was centered around me.

I have no defense for this part of my life. I can only say that I am ashamed of it and I have developed the understanding of it that I lacked then.

Knowing this, why would you consider helping me?

In the 33 years since my crime, I've engaged in a life of self-confrontation and personal transformation. This began with the realization of how despicable my action was and deep remorse for it.
  • I have no assaultive tickets in the 33 years of this sentence. 
  • I have zero tickets since 1996.
  • I was 20 years old when I committed this murder.
  • All DOC metrics show me to be a low risk for reoffending and a high probability for success.
  • Psych reports, letters from respected people in the community, along with other objective evidence supports this conclusion. 
  • I have a very strong support system in Michigan and Pennsylvania. If I go to Pennsylvania, I have a job and housing waiting for me, and though I don't have a specific job offer in Michigan, I have many skills and prospects and people to help.
One definition of commutation is: "a substitution of one form of payment for another."  I consider my debt to be unpayable, and will continue to atone for taking Scott's life until the end of mine, no matter where I am. If I'm ever released, I will continue to exchange one form of payment for another  — perhaps one of more practical value to society.

I know you can't make a reasonable decision to help based on the scant information in this message. I happen to be a writer, and reading some of my work would be a good way to learn more about how I've spent my time here. You can read my writings at:

Whole Ways
The Wholeness Ethics Blog
Sacred Matters
My book, Stepping Up
An NPR piece I wrote and recorded

Or you can contact me personally at:

Troy Chapman
#169076
Muskegon Correctional Facility
2400 S. Sheridan
Muskegon, MI 49442

or contact Maryann Gorman for more info.

Thank you.

No comments: